Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Day 2ish

This was our second day waking up on a Hostel bed in a completely foreign country. I had personally been preparing myself to be in complete culture shock, for a while as this is my first time leaving the country.
     Going through customs was way easier than I expected, but I immediately realised that taking three years of French and avoiding Spanish at all costs was not a good life decision, as Ryan would say. We passed through customs with no problem and entered a very brightly lit orange baggage claim, with no windows and only fluorescent lights. It was very hard to tell the time of day. We all immediately noticed the sniffing beagle, who we later realised was a fruit smelling dog. Of course I was the only member of the group that the beagle approached.  As the suspicious dog jumped on my bag, the man asked me in Spanish "frutas, frutas?" and my pale, confused face must have shown my nervousness as I shook my head and said no. After a couple of minutes, and trying to put as much distance between myself and the dog, the man and the dog were back, as it jumped on my bag scratching and yelping. At this point, it was obvious that the man could not let me go, and he asked me to open my bag. I complied. After not finding anything, they allowed me to take my bag.
     Now, actually onto day two! I woke up early with the group of girls in search of fruit for breakfast. We searched for an inexpensive fruit cart, only passing a couple open stores. One thing I've noticed is that the city wakes up pretty late, in my experience of cities. The local coffee shop doesn't open until 8 am. We finally found a small market with a good amount of fruit. After Nina, Lila and Kestrel collected the fruit, Ryan went to pay. The woman wrote down 185 and Ryan asked all of us for more soles... which is a crazy amount. Nina and Lila came over to sort it out,  and of course it was only 18.5 soles (which is about 6 dollars)... typical.
     After everyone was fed and happy, we set out on our adventure to the historical district of Lima. The first quest of the journey was to find the bus station, which was located near the market we visited earlier (but we took a much different route that took more side streets). After loading a single metro card with enough swipes for the group, we made quite a scene as we lined up and entered one by one, passing off the metro card. The bus in Peru has been the most boundary-pushing experience. After walking to the platform, we realised that we would have to push and keep very up close and personal with Peruvian strangers. Immediately, I had a little butt moment with a middle-aged Peruvian woman before she pushed and shoved to get off at her stop. As an influx of Peruvians pushed on, I was immediately thrown into the sweaty back of Tim. After a very touchy bus ride we had to depart quickly, as the bus stops are extremely short.
     As I sit writing this in the hostel living room, with Ryan constantly pestering me about waking up to run at 6 am and Julia tiredly waiting for me to finish so she can publish it, I am ending this blog post with a combination of the ideas from the people around me.
     So Beunos Noches de Lima, Peru
       -Lylah Isadora Guzynski-Hakimoglu-Tay

2 comments:

  1. A parent approached me and commented on what good writers you all are. Really enjoying your posts. Keep them coming. Missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A parent approached me and commented on what good writers you all are. Really enjoying your posts. Keep them coming. Missing you.

    ReplyDelete